Can You Cover Existing Exteriors with New Siding?
Thinking about revamping the look of your home can be exciting, but for homeowners with stucco or brick exteriors the process can also prompt concern. Am I stuck with the exterior I have, or can I make the switch to another type like vinyl or Celect® Cellular Composite?
The good news is that it is possible to cover brick and stucco with a different type of siding without any major renovations required. Keep reading to learn more about how it’s done:
How Is New Siding Installed Over Stucco or Brick?
One of the main challenges is that vinyl and Celect® Cellular Composite siding both need to be installed on smooth, flat surfaces—which brick and stucco frequently are not. Fortunately, there is a way around this problem.
Contractors can use furring strips, pieces of wood used to raise and level an otherwise uneven surface, before placing the new siding overtop. With brick, contractors may also use Tapcon screws, otherwise called masonry or concrete screws.
Down the Road, Can You Take the New Siding off and Return to What Was There Before?
In all likelihood, no. Since covering stucco and brick involves screwing into the surface with heavy-duty anchors, the lasting impact on the original exterior will be noticeable.
How Do You Know if New Siding Over an Existing Exterior Is Right for Your Home?
Work with an experienced home contractor to discuss your needs and properly assess the condition of the walls in question before undertaking any work. If they have concerns, they can address them with you early to help you make the right choice about your next steps.
Being informed about your options and knowing what to expect will help you make the choice that best suits your home, guaranteeing the best result.
At Quality Exteriors, we are committed to providing the highest quality siding (including vinyl, fiber cement, and wood). Contact us today to schedule your free in-home estimate!
Like this? You might also like:
- Why Quality Siding Is a Good Investment in Your Home
- 10 Signs Your Home’s Siding Needs Replacing
- 5 Reasons Celect® Cellular Composite Siding Is the Right Choice for Your Home
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 18, 2019
- Quality Exterior Systems Listed In Top 3 Window Companies In St. Catharines - December 5, 2019
- Can You Cover Existing Exteriors with New Siding? - June 9, 2019
- 3 Common Wintertime Problems Homeowners Have with Their Windows - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 19, 2018
- Tired of Tiger Stripes on Your Eavestroughs? Learn How to Get Rid of Them and Keep Them Away for Good - October 17, 2018
- Tips for Eliminating Window Condensation - August 31, 2018
- How Quality Installs Doors [Video] - July 10, 2018
- Have High Winds Damaged Your Home? Here’s What You Need to Know about Inspecting It. - April 5, 2018
- Your Guide to Budgeting for New Siding - April 4, 2018