10 Signs Your Home’s Siding Needs Replacing
When was the last time you inspected the condition of your home’s siding? With winter on the horizon, now is a good time to look for signs of wear and tear.
Your siding needs to perform at its best across all seasons. Like your roof, siding is there to protect your home from nature’s elements. Not addressing worn or damaged siding on your home’s exterior means risking damage to its interior. Repairs can be good to solve minor issues; however, you might need to consider a complete replacement if the problems are severe or if they worsen over time.
Here are 10 signs you might need to repair or replace your home’s siding:
1. Siding Is Loose, Cracking, or Peeling
Does your siding look like it’s loose, cracking, or peeling anywhere?
If any of those symptoms affect a few isolated spots, slight repairs or replacing only the damaged siding might solve the problem.
If, however, larger sections are afflicted, it’s likely that you’ll find more extensive damage under the siding caused by air and water seeping in. If this is the case, larger repairs or a complete replacement may be necessary to address the damage and prevent it from becoming more severe.
2. Siding Is Warping or Rotting
Warped or rotted siding is an easy-to-spot problem and a clear sign moisture is permeating into your home. Not addressing the issues early can lead to mold or mildew buildup.
Use a screwdriver to prod the warped or rotted siding to find out how soft it actually is. If it is already thin or mushy, you will need to consider a replacement in the very near future.
3. Visible Bubbles under the Surface of Siding
Your siding is there to keep water out. Bubbles under the surface indicate water has made its way in and is now trapped beneath. Bubbles are telltale signs that your siding needs replacing.
4. Water Stains
Like bubbles, water streaks or discolouration are evidence that water might have leaked through your siding. A repair or a replacement of your siding will be necessary to prevent the problem from getting worse.
5. Fungus, Mildew, or Mold Growth on Siding
Is there fungus, mold, or mildew on your siding? Is it only on the surface or does it go deeper? Is it near to the siding’s seams?
If the issues are only external, a minor repair might do the trick. If the damage is more extensive, however, it might be time to replace your siding. You want to take action now before problems worsen.
6. Evidence of Dry Rot in the Siding
Dry rot is hard to spot. It conceals itself under the surface of the siding, destroying the majority of the material beneath while leaving the surface intact.
Use a hard tool, such as an awl or screwdriver handle, to tap on your home’s siding and expose weak spots. If you discover dry rot, you must respond quickly to make the necessary repairs or replacements.
7. Frequent Repainting Required
If you find yourself repainting your siding more than once every ten years, there might be some deeper, hidden problems.
Consider vinyl siding when looking for solutions. With vinyl siding, you won’t have to worry about having to repaint over fading colours. Quality vinyl siding will keep its colour brilliant for decades.
8. Wallpaper or Paint Inside the Home Is Loose or Peeling
Experiencing issues inside your home is not a good sign, as it means moisture has permeated deep into your siding and wallboards. Leaving this for too long can cause severe damage to your interior walls.
When investigating, keep in mind that interior moisture can be due to a range of factors including problems with your roof, plumbing, or HVAC. Make sure you investigate all potential risks so you can fix the problem right the first time.
9. Energy Bills Are High
If your heating and cooling costs have been the rise, damaged siding might be the cause. As you’re investigating, also probe other culprits including your roof and insulation.
The best way to make sure you catch problems is to regularly inspect and maintain your home’s siding. If you notice problems big or small, be sure to address them quickly so they don’t cause bigger issues down the road. Ultimately, keeping the exterior of your home healthy will protect its interior too.
At Quality Exteriors, we take pride in providing quality home siding products, superior reliability, and excellent customer service. Contact Quality Exteriors to arrange a free in-home consultation.
Serving homeowners in St. Catharines, Burlington, Hamilton, Niagara, and Oakville.
Like this? You might also like:
- Why Quality Siding Is a Good Investment in Your Home
- Do You Know How to Properly Maintain Your Siding? [Infographic]
- Checklist of Questions to Ask when Choosing a Home Contractor
- When to Request an Estimate for Exterior Work - February 26, 2020
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 18, 2019
- Quality Exterior Systems Listed In Top 3 Window Companies In St. Catharines - December 5, 2019
- Can You Cover Existing Exteriors with New Siding? - June 9, 2019
- 3 Common Wintertime Problems Homeowners Have with Their Windows - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 19, 2018
- Tired of Tiger Stripes on Your Eavestroughs? Learn How to Get Rid of Them and Keep Them Away for Good - October 17, 2018
- Tips for Eliminating Window Condensation - August 31, 2018
- How Quality Installs Doors [Video] - July 10, 2018
- Have High Winds Damaged Your Home? Here’s What You Need to Know about Inspecting It. - April 5, 2018