Should You Repair or Replace Your Outdated Windows?
It’s a rainy day when you first notice the problem. Somewhere in your home you hear the distinct drip-drip of water, but where is it coming from? After some sleuthing, you find the culprit – your window.
What do you do next?
Keep reading to learn when and why you need to repair or replace your windows:
Repairing vs. Replacing Windows
Repairs are ideal for fixing superficial or cosmetic issues like chipped paint or faulty hardware. These are the types of problems that might be more likely to affect younger windows, making them easier for homeowners to address themselves.
If you’re dealing with more significant challenges (especially in windows older than 10 or 15 years), replacing the windows will probably be the best course of action.
Signs that it’s time to start thinking about replacement windows include:
- Broken or cracked glass.
- Split, rotted, or damaged grilles.
- Immovable sashes (whether they’ve come off track or are blocked by debris).
- Missing or compromised drip-caps and trim.
- Evidence of water ponding, pooling, or leaking.
- The presence of condensation between window panes.
When in doubt, reach out to an experienced home contractor who can thoroughly assess the situation and provide guidance on appropriate next steps.
Why Consider Replacing Your Windows
1. Reduce Energy Costs
You might not realize it, but the wrong windows can really eat into your energy bills. Energy efficient windows are designed to keep the heat in during the winter and out through the summer. This can help you save anywhere from $70 to $500 on your energy bills each year.
What are the seven reasons you should choose energy-efficient, high-performance windows? Read our blog to find out!
2. Make Your Windows Easier to Use
Many new windows are designed with functionality front and centre. Some have self-cleaning options, while other styles are engineered to be tilted or swung in ways that make them easy to look after all year round.
3. Improve Your Home’s Appearance
Have you been brainstorming ways to give your home a revitalizing facelift? Your windows can be a great place to start, as they give your home its character and charm.
What makes more sense for your home – window replacements or full-frame window replacements? Read our blogs (click here for window replacements and here for full-frame window replacements) to find out!
4. Address All Issues At Once
Are you having trouble with rot, poor insulation, and excess moisture? Repairing one or two problems is a Band-Aid solution. Replacing your windows lets you tackle all root causes at once – dealing with the flaws now so they don’t cause further damage and create costly headaches down the road.
Remember that finding the right home contractor to assess and replace your windows is important. You need to choose an experienced professional with a demonstrated track record of quality workmanship and customer satisfaction to provide the best results, letting you enjoy your revitalized windows for years to come.
Quality Exteriors is committed to excellence. As a full-service contractor, we specialize in providing the highest quality design and selection of windows. Our expert craftsmanship is backed up our 5-year workmanship warranty. Contact us today to schedule a free in-home consultation!
Like this? You might also like:
- Drafty? Don’t Lose Money on Leaky Windows and Doors
- Can New Windows Really Save You Money?
- Are Your Home’s Windows Outdated? What You Need to Know about Full Frame Window Replacements
- When to Request an Estimate for Exterior Work - February 26, 2020
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 18, 2019
- Quality Exterior Systems Listed In Top 3 Window Companies In St. Catharines - December 5, 2019
- Can You Cover Existing Exteriors with New Siding? - June 9, 2019
- 3 Common Wintertime Problems Homeowners Have with Their Windows - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 19, 2018
- Tired of Tiger Stripes on Your Eavestroughs? Learn How to Get Rid of Them and Keep Them Away for Good - October 17, 2018
- Tips for Eliminating Window Condensation - August 31, 2018
- How Quality Installs Doors [Video] - July 10, 2018
- Have High Winds Damaged Your Home? Here’s What You Need to Know about Inspecting It. - April 5, 2018