3 Ways Ice Buildups Can Damage Your Eavestroughs
Winter has arrived in Southern Ontario, bringing with it the snow, ice, and cold we’re all familiar with. This wintery weather can put your home’s exterior elements – including its eavestroughs – under stress.
Keep reading to learn about how ice buildups can affect your eavestroughs and what you can do to prevent damage:
1. Built-Up Ice Causes Water to Leak into Your Home
If the conditions are right (including when eavestroughs aren’t guarded), snow and ice can accumulate in the troughs. When we get some mid-winter showers or the snow starts to melt on an early spring day, the water won’t be able to drain properly. That can force it to back up and leak into your home, causing significant damage throughout (eavestroughs, roofing, insulation, walls, ceilings, and more).
2. Eavestroughs Become Detached Due to Added Weight
Piled-up snow can stress the hooks in your eavestroughs, making them more likely to bend and break under the weight.
Other issues that can cause eavestroughs to detach include:
- Faulty or damaged fasteners.
- Inadequate hangers.
- Rotten fascia.
Having the highest quality materials installed by experienced home contractors will ensure your eavestroughs stay in place whatever Mother Nature throws at them.
3. Eavestroughs Warp Due to Freezing and Thawing
There’s nothing more refreshing than feeling the warmth of the sun on a wintery February day, but are your eavestroughs ready to handle the thaw?
If water isn’t able to clear before it refreezes, it can cause eavestroughs to warp. That can lead to debris accumulating in newly formed gullies and water backing up.
Protect Eavestroughs from Seasonal Wear-and-Tear with Alu-Rex
Alu-Rex’s gutter protection systems are designed to give your eavestroughs year-round defence:
- Alu-Perf and Roll-Back technologies provide the perfect balance between debris protection and drainage to encourage water to move without causing it to overflow.
- Dura-Clean technology prevents unsightly “tiger stripes” (the black lines that appear when water holds onto accumulated grime as it drips down eavestroughs).
- Waterproof aluminum construction ensures no rusting, chipping, cracking, or warping.
- T-Rex Continuous Hangers delivers end-to-end strength.
How strong are T-Rex Continuous Hangers? The answer: strong enough for five men to just hang out! Watch the video to see for yourself!
Alu-Rex’s products are backed by a 25-year material and performance warranty and an industry-leading, no-clog 40-year warranty.
If you’re interested in learning more about installing an Alu-Rex gutter protection system on your home’s eavestroughs, get in touch with us to schedule a free in-home estimate.
Like this? You might also like: