Tips to Choose a Reputable Home Improvement Contractor
Whether you are updating the siding on your home’s exterior or building a beautiful deck to better enjoy your backyard, you need to make sure you hire a trustworthy, capable home contractor for the job.
Unfortunately, contractors as a whole have gotten a bit of a bad reputation because of the ‘bad apples’ in the bunch, so to speak. These shady scammers take advantage of homeowners, making off with their hard-earned money and leaving a poorly done job behind … or not even completing the work at all!
Even many reputable contractors don’t have the type of quality workmanship that many homeowners are expecting, leading to disappointment and frustration.
To avoid these con artist contractors and distinguish the good from the ‘just okay’, follow these tips every time you are hiring a new contractor to do work on your home:
Tips for Homeowners Choosing a Contractor
- Ask trusted family and friends for recommendations of contractors who did a good job on their home
- Search for a local contractor with a long-time, positive reputation
- Search the contractors you are considering in the Better Business Bureau to ensure they are listed and are in good standing (click here for our A+ BBB review)
- Visit the Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services’ “Consumer Beware List” and read reviews to check on the company’s reputation
- Find out where the contractor’s physical location is in the area (shady contractors often do not have a stationary physical location)
- Ask at least 3 different contractors for written estimates on the work to be done
- Check all estimates carefully; there may be a difference of quality in materials, for example
- Don’t trust surprisingly low bids without thoroughly understanding why they are so inexpensive in comparison to the other bids
- Ask for proof that the contractors have third party liability insurance and are in good standing with the Workers Compensation Board
- Ask for proof the company is insured
- Don’t pay more than half of the cost upfront.
A good rule of thumb is that if a contractor’s offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t fall for tactics like deals that are “only good today” or estimates that seem way too cheap considering the project at hand.
In our next post, we will give you list of questions you should ask a home improvement contractor when making your decision on a craftsperson to work on your home.
>> At Quality Exterior Systems, we pride ourselves on high quality workmanship, reliability, and great customer service. We offer a 5 year warranty on our work. Get in touch with us today for a free in-home consultation or to discuss your next home project.
Serving homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and Niagara.
Like this? You might also like:
- Can Three Men Hang from Your Eavestrough? [Video]
- Do You Know Your Rights when Signing with a Contractor in Ontario? [Video]
- Are Your Home’s Windows Outdated? What You Need to Know about Full Frame Window Replacements
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 18, 2019
- Quality Exterior Systems Listed In Top 3 Window Companies In St. Catharines - December 5, 2019
- Can You Cover Existing Exteriors with New Siding? - June 9, 2019
- 3 Common Wintertime Problems Homeowners Have with Their Windows - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors - December 19, 2018
- Tired of Tiger Stripes on Your Eavestroughs? Learn How to Get Rid of Them and Keep Them Away for Good - October 17, 2018
- Tips for Eliminating Window Condensation - August 31, 2018
- How Quality Installs Doors [Video] - July 10, 2018
- Have High Winds Damaged Your Home? Here’s What You Need to Know about Inspecting It. - April 5, 2018
- Your Guide to Budgeting for New Siding - April 4, 2018