What Is Composite Decking?
When you’re ready to build a new deck in your backyard, how do you choose which material to use? So many options are available for decks today – regular wood, pressure treated wood, vinyl, aluminum, plastic – that it can be difficult to know what’s right for you.
We often recommend composite decking, because of its many advantages over other decking types.
What Is It?
Composite decking is a relatively newer type of deck material that has quickly become one of the most popular alternatives to wood decks. Designed specifically for convenience and low maintenance, it’s made of a combination of wood and plastic.
The wood components can be made up of anything from sawdust, to wood chips, to wood fiber pieces. The plastic components are made of virgin or recycled material. Because composite decks can be made with reused or recycled materials, they’re typically seen as a more environmentally friendly option.
When composite decking is created, the wood and plastic is processed so the deck takes on all the appearance of wood – but with fewer drawbacks!
Top Benefits of Composite Decking
If you’re looking to build a brand new deck and turn your backyard into your personal oasis, here are some compelling reasons to consider composite decking:
- Low maintenance (no need to stain, seal, or paint your deck to keep up appearances)
- Long lasting (for example, Fiberon composite decking is backed by a 25 year warranty)
- Resists scratches, stains, warping, fading, mold, and insects
- Environmentally-friendly (often uses recycled materials and sustainable manufacturing processes)
- Better return on investment over the long term
- Increased safety because it doesn’t splinter or crack
- Available in a wider range of styles and colours than other types of decking
A deck improves the appearance and function of your yard, while adding to your enjoyment and your home’s value. If you’re designing the perfect deck, consider composite decking!
>> Quality Exterior Systems is happy to provide you with a free estimate on your next deck project. We’re decking experts!
Visit our online photo gallery to see some of the beautiful custom decks we’ve completed in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and Niagara.
Like this? You might also like:
- 3 Tips for Designing Your Dream Deck
- How Safe Is Your Deck? [Video]
- Top 5 Benefits of a Low Maintenance Deck
Images in this blog credited to Fiberon Professional
- Should You Repair or Replace Your Outdated Windows? - March 15, 2017
- Protect Your Eavestroughs All Winter Long with Alu-Rex [Video] - March 3, 2017
- The 3 Most Common Problems that Affect Your Siding in the Winter - February 13, 2017
- How You Can Stay Warm with Winter-Ready Windows - January 31, 2017
- 3 Ways Ice Buildups Can Damage Your Eavestroughs - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas from Quality Exteriors! - December 21, 2016
- Winter Is Coming: 5 Tips to Prepare Your Home - December 5, 2016
- 4 Reasons You Should Install Eavestrough Protection this Fall - November 8, 2016
- 3 Must-Read Tips for Cleaning Your Eavestroughs This Fall - October 26, 2016
- 5 Tips for Comparing Siding Estimates - September 28, 2016